Stoned Women - My first Glastonbury with pix from 2003


STONED Woman by Mother
Earth can mean only one thing
to me. It’s the piece of music
that blares out of my car as I
enter the Glastonbury Festival
site – well, it has been for the
last few of my 12 visits to the
greatest show on earth.
My first visit to the musical
heaven that is Glastonbury was
in 1990 following a call from a
picture agency asking me if I
would drive to Pilton, devoid of
a ticket, blag my way past the
guards and photograph Sinead
O’Connor on the Pyramid
Stage for the Sunday Times.
I was then to meet a courier
parked in a local pub car park
who would hightail it to Bristol
for processing and wiring to
the national picturedesk. No
digital cameras and the internet
then – this was old school.
Once through the gate I still
had no idea where I was going
but I drove all the way through,
where the food halls are today
and parked, yes parked, to the
left-hand side of the old Pyramid
Stage as you look at it.
From there I found one of the
organisers who sorted me with
a pass and within an hour I
found myself in the photog
raphers’ pit for the first time.
I have never felt so at home, it
is a wonderful place to be.
The crowd always get excited
when they see the snappers,
not because we are interesting
to look at but because they
know the band or in this case
Sinead O’Connor was about to
play.
The paper didn’t use the picture
of Sinead, instead they
used one of the crowd going
crazy in the sunshine, across
eight columns with my name
underneath it.
Over the years I have photographed 100’s of singers, actors and the famous but it’s the people that attend Glastonbury to the performers that make it the most wonderful festival on earth.
This year I will only be there
in spirit but I’m sure from
where I live I will still be able to
hear it. So if you read this before you go, why not download Stoned Woman and play it for me as you drive in through the gates of worthy farm and maybe take some pictures as well.





Comments

Popular Posts