Match Day

MATCH days are always busy with loads of prep to be carried out.


Lenses are spotlessly cleaned, batteries fully charged and camera settings changed from raw to jpeg for the actual game. This will give me greater capacity on my cards to save pictures.

The second leg of the play-off semi-final at Huish Park was a special day and had a completely different feel about it from normal match days. The Blades from Sheffield were coming to town and they had to be dispensed with, for the spoils of this war were a trip to Wembley.

Some fans may say that we have unfinished business at the famous ground, having lost to Blackpool on the last visit.

I concur, but for even more selfish reasons. This is a chance to return and hopefully see the winning side lift the trophy in a vast cloud of towering green and white smoke – not the colours of the other team.

I want to take pictures of Yeovil fans and players cheering, laughing, dancing and wearing the cup on their heads without a care in the world, not walking around in a daze with a long forlorn trudge to the side of the hallowed turf to applaud their distraught fans.

For the semi-final I knew I had to get pictures of fans arriving, faces painted and children waving flags and full of expectation. It was soon obvious that there was tension in the air, they knew that Yeovil could do the deed, but could they... really?

It was a fantastic start to the game with a goal in the first few minutes. I didn’t get a good picture of the strike – too many bodies in the way, but the celebration shots were fantastic.

The rest of the game ebbed and flowed, but as the clock ticked down it felt like it was going to be Yeovil’s day.

Then Upson towered above the defence and headed in – great picture. He ran around the back of the goal and straight into my lens – fantastic pictures.

It was then that the fan in me, the schoolboy who always wanted to be a footballer, was awoken by a mind-blowing cacophony of sound from ecstatic fans behind me.

After a few thumps in the air I was back clicking away at all and sundry, trying to capture the moment.

So on Sunday, make sure you take your cameras and phones and use them to capture the moments of the day. Take pictures that you will be able look at in years to come and prove that you were there.

Photograph your friends going bananas, pictured by a famous footballer or posing by the Bobby Moore statue. I don’t care, just click away and share them with me at picturesdesk@westgaz.co.uk by Monday morning at 9am. We will print the best ones in the paper.

I don’t want to tempt fate but surely it’s time for Yeovil to take that giant step into the Championship... isn’t it?









Comments

Popular Posts