Reflections from 2009


I HAVE been a staff

photographer

with the Western Gazette for 18

years, yet I still accumulate virgin

knowledge on a daily basis.

I learn from my staff, my peers

and, importantly, I learn from my

own mistakes. Only a fool

assumes he knows everything.

So it happens that when I have

to shoot in churches, using a

single flash gun, I have to think

long and hard about exposure,

depth of field and the dreaded

flash.

Recently I had to photograph a

man I have known – and

respected

– for many years, choosing to

picture him inside Sherborne  Abbey, where I wanted to include the famous and recently-restored

West Window. The Abbey has a special viewing mirror on wheels, enabling visitors to see the vaulted

ceilings and stained glass windows without keeling over from giddiness at staring upwards for so long.

The trick was to meter the light coming in through the window to ensure that the rich colours were

captured, then light the subject using off camera flash – I usually collar a passer-by to assist in holding

the flashgun for me. This gives clever modelling to facial features, unlike direct light. I was once told

that no-one looks into the sun or a lightbulb, so refrain from sticking a flashgun into the subject’s face –

people don’t like it. Always remember to focus on the reflection – not the subject – and hey presto, you

should have a perfectly-lit portrait.

Comments

Popular Posts