He's behind you.

Respect where respect is due
I've just turned 50 and one thing is certain I am still a big child at heart, for I adore the British great institution that is pantomime. I always have. Maybe it's the silly jokes that I have heard a thousand times before or the sight of men dressed disturbingly as woman who are convinced they are attractive. Either way I am hooked, maybe what I really love is the way that they always have a happy romantic ending, They are full of songs and humour which attract families young and old allowing them the opportunity to spend quality time together.
Luckily for me, in September I was asked to take photographs - which will be used in all the pre-publicity leading up to the Christmas run - of Aladdin, the 2012 panto production at the Octagon theatre, Yeovil.
The Cast of Aladdin
In previous years we used to take all the pictures on the stage, but last year for the first time we did the shoot on location, which proved such a success that this year we followed suit with the cast, theatre staff and production company descending on the beautiful gardens of Hestercombe House near Taunton.
I arrived at the location an hour before everyone else - who were on route by a combination of train and minibus - to check out the best places to take the pictures.
The beautiful Princess Jasmine
Luckily for me I had spent a pleasant hour on the internet the night before reading a precis of the panto's plot and wrote down a list of all the character names and their relationships with each other to make the day easier for me. Knowledge is power as they say. Unfortunately, I had left the labours of the previous evening at home on the hall table.
I only had the stars of the show for an hour and a half before they returned to the theatre to meet the local press so I had to work fast. They arrived on time and I mistakingly thought they would be dressed ready to go so I could get some good shots when they descended from the bus and snaked their way along garden paths to the main entrance.
This was not to be, they disappeared into the house and another twenty minutes was to pass before the first member of the cast stepped through the makeshift dressing room door and out onto the lawn where I was pacing and trying not to get impatient.
As always with any job I am only happy when I have taken the first frame and I work best when I am under pressure. So as soon as I saw them appear dressed and ready I started to relax. I love rushing around working out where the best light falls, what makes the best background and how the colours of the costumes will be shown off to their advantage against the various backgrounds the gardens provided.
I hadn't met any of the cast before, except for the wonderfully talented Ben Langley who was playing Wishee Washee so I found the best way was to jump up on a tree stump and introduce myself. I knew that Ben would immediately take the michael out of me, they would laugh and the shoot could begin. The rest of the day from that moment was a doddle,I had earned their trust.
Every panto needs a baddie
I had set out at 9am and returned to my home at about 4pm, then there was just enough time for coffee and a sandwich before I dived headlong into a wonderous six hours of processing. I love this part of the process, I need to see what I have taken as soon as possible to reaffirm to myself that the assignment went well.
What I love most about this particular type of location shoot is the unknown, I have to think on my feet and look professional and confident at all times. There were about 30 people watching me constantly and I have to deliver....which I think on the whole I did.


Roll on December when I have been invited to the full dress rehearsal with colour, costumes, the smell, the songs, the laughter and of course the obligatory call of 'He's behind you'.

For all the info you need to book your panto tickets for Aladdin at the Octagon Theatre click this link.

Comments

Popular Posts