Dressed to Thrill

The First picture of the evening is usually the best
Turning the pages of my diary usually unveils a reminder that another year has evaporated into the ether - especially as a rather big birthday is looming on the horizon. But this time of year I am enthused with the prospect of photographing the prom season. Guarenteed colour, fun

and fantastic picture opportunities. Usually that is.
This year unfortunately I am only able to get to two, both local and and at the same venue, Haselbury Mill, nr Crewkerne.
I have always maintained to all the photographers that have passed through my hands, James Dadzitis, Zachary Culpin, Clare Homer, David Bendell that this a great place to learn. How to work quickly, how to talk to
people and how to make colourful and entertaining pictures.
The Guys just want to look cool or mess around
In fact one of the first awards I was ever nominated for and was exhibited in London was taken at a prom. In amongst all the photographs of politicians, world sporting events and global disasters was a picture of mine from a local prom..
Never underestimate the opportunities that may arise from the smallest of jobs.
Girls share a joke as they arrive for the prom
The first Prom was absolutely perfect, they sun was shining and even though it was early evening I had at least another good hour of light.
Then the troubles began, my camera started playing up it was reading my flash correctly. Kept kicking out enough light to illuminated the county.it was time to ditch it, stick on the long lens and shoot available light. Just by where the kids alighted from their cars was a tree casting shade and behind them
Just as I was leaving this young lady
arrived. I couldn't leave without
photographing her and her hat.
 a wall of trees some 100 metres away. All I had to do was rack em and shoot them as a Canadian photographer once told me.
There is still a trick to grouping people and that is take charge without being rude. Put them into position before the realise they are being herded into nice tight groups then it's all about getting that wonderful expression on their faces. I try to make my pictures feel that though they are set up they don't look too contrived.
A week later and it was a different story it was pouring down, cars were getting stuck in fields as they parked and the umbrella was the preferred designer accessory of the day. But even this should never be a problem, it's just the chance for an alternative set of pictures. Colourful brollies, people running and screaming to get under cover etc..
Though as I am working for a newspaper who require about 20 'group' pictures. These had to be done in the shelter of the entrance to the tithe barn the prom was being held in. No room inside to swing a cat in there.
Even though it was extremely crowded, with people squeezing by trying to get in and out, the pictures still looked fun and stress free.
The biggest compliment I received was next day at the office when the Newsdesk said that thought it had been raining.
Remember it's not the camera that counts but the person behind it.

Comments

Popular Posts