Just remembered why I love my job.

Montacute Primary Street
Party
It was a really busy week , actually it's pretty full on every day at a paper these days. But lately my photographers and I have been shooting a lot of stuff ranging from Royal visits, playgroup supplements, features for our glossy magazine - I love features -  and this weekend it is the Queen's Jubilee.
We have 13 pages to fill with pictures from all over South Somerset encompassing as many town's and villages as possible plus we have to shoot enough for a 40 page supplement..
It is busy enough just shooting day to day pictures without having to run a picturedesk, organise staff and help layout pages but I also have to help out with the diary jobs. Then it's back to the office to process and input my work before starting to sort out and allocate assignments for the weekend's cover. We have one photographer on each day plus I help out too.
Now when I say it was busy, that's true but the minute I step through the the door with camera bag and crumpled job sheets clutched in my hand then I start to relax, I crack a smile, this is what I do best, take pictures.
I have said before that I am not the best photographer in the world but I am certainly a very good and hugely enthusiastic regional press photographer. My jobs for the morning are varied starting with a wedding feature, followed by a pic of guy in his MGB then onto a local school to cover their jubilee party.
Talking to people and making them feel at ease is something I enjoy and have always done naturally. I learned many years ago that when your subject is relaxed then your pictures will benefit. The job went well. The second job took almost three minutes as the guy was in a hurry and he met me in his car and I photographed him as he sat in it. Sometimes this is the best way for me as I work better when I am up against time.
Then came the job I was looking forward to. I have always explained to all the photographers who have passed through my hands that school photographs are and important grounding, a place where you can try out all your ideas. Lighting, composition, props whatever you want to do as long as you don't bore the pants of them kids are cool .
I arrived at the school and signs were not good, there was no sign of life, no shouting and laughing from the classrooms as I pass. Reported to reception and the lady wasn't expecting me. No surprise there as this happens a lot.
Then she came back and led me through the classrooms and out into the rear playground where I was blinded and deafened by laughter and colourful flags.
The whole school was having a street party and it was in full swing. I always like to look around first and size up what I need to do. I know I can just click away and take loads of great news pix but I need something big, something that can hold a full page. Then I see the bank of grass at the head of one of the long tables. A quick conversation with one of the teachers and I am up high and the children do the rest.
I am an extremely happy bunny.Twenty minutes later and I am back in the office and everyone can tell I am excited. I am not bigheaded I just love my job and if I take a good picture I want everyone know and to see it. It's almost child-like the way I am seeking approval but here it is.
The day was a gentle reminder of why I love my job.

Comments

Popular Posts