High Flier

This picture is probably the most important and cherished picture I have ever taken. It embodies everything I strive to include in my work, Life, colour and a sense of wow! It also shows to me but maybe not the viewer is that some pictures only occur after having the patience of a saint. Now, I couldn\'t sit in a field waiting for hours to maybe see a wild deer come into a view but I can and do return to an event year after year with the unblinkered certainty that there is a wonderful picture to be taken if only I opened my eyes.
The first time I went to the Eggardon kite festival on the Dorset coast I remember getting lost and I had to park and walk for ages carrying all my kit with only about 30 minutes to spare before I had to leave for my next assignment.
As always I did the usual and rounded up the organisers and grouped a load of kids around them with their kites then set up a portrait of a kid with their colourful flyer. I left their gutted that with all the beautiful countryside, the blue sky and activity everywhere that was the best I could do.
The following year I had a plan but as with all good ideas I didn't reckon on thick fog. The pictures were surreal but a another year was wasted. The third year was different I was on my day off, the weather was perfect and I was really looking forward to it.o
I arrived and left all my kit in the car except one Nikon D2 and a 17-35mm lens....alright I did have a flash in my pocket too but that was all. Then I went walkies. As always when I visit any big event I take a good wander and survey the land seeing what opportunities are around. It was then I saw a long line of puffed up kites on a fixed line maybe a 100m long and trailing off into the clouds. A little boy was pulling away from his mother's hand and started to leap and jump to touch the kites.
I had maybe 20 seconds to slide down a bank lay on my stomach and fire off a few frames as the lad oblivious to me, jumped to catch hold of the fish.
I was so happy I new I had it in the bag and couldn't wait to get home and download onto the Mac.
They say never put off today what you can do tomorrow but I learned that day that sometimes it takes patience and many years to capture that special moment.


Comments

Popular Posts