I\'m off to see the Wiz

Love this time of year, I feel privileged and excited. Privileged as I get to sit in a theatre almost alone with two packets of trebor soft mints, unlimited access to coffee thanks to the lovely Kate Wigmore and excited in the anticipation of what will unfold on the famous local stage in the next couple of hours. I\\\\\\\'m not in the West End and it\\\\\\\'s not a professional company. But the drama students of Yeovil College never cease to amaze and entertain me with their annual musical extravaganzas.
This year it is the Wiz, a show I have not seen before but given the name I assume it won\\\'t be hard to follow.
Had a shock earlier in the day when one of lenses jammed so have had to borrow one off my togs.
So armed with two bodies, lenses-freshly cleaned-and batteries fully charged I impatiently wait for the curtains to open. It seems so simple photographing a show and fundamentally this true, but not knowing the show I cannot anticipate where the action is going to come from. I have know idea how much light there will be. Usually the principals are bathed in it but in what colour who can tell.
The dance sequences will make me look - to the spectator - like a wild banshee as I run from left to right along the front of the stage, changing cameras and angles to try and capture that special moment of power and grace that the college dancers exude.
The rehearsal a straight run through in preparation for the opening night starts off tentatively. A couple of misses cues and a couple of the actors and actresses struggle to find their voices but they soon get over their nerves and deliver.
The lighting is difficult and costumes and sets are colourful which ensures that I can enjoy myself.
All I have to do is concentrate on ensuring that I do the show justice by being as professional and creative as the cast most certainly are.
Before I know it the final curtain comes down and the house lights blind me as they are raised.
I\\\\\\\'ts gone ten now and all I have to is get home and get the pictures off my cameras and onto the Mac. I never have been able to wait for the next day to edit. My excitement always overtakes me and I have to see what I took. I couldn\\\\\\\'t sleep without knowing. So for the next hour and a half I carry out a basic edit.
I also have to send twenty pictures to the theatre so they can display at front of house for the opening night. Tomorrow!

Comments

Popular Posts