ON REFLECTION


I’VE been a staff photographer with the Western Gazette for 20 years yet I still accumulate virgin knowledge on a daily basis. I learn staff, my peers and importantly I learn from my own mistakes. Only a fool assumes he knows everything.
So it happens that when I have to shoot in churches using a single flash gun. I have to think long and hard about exposure, depth of field and the dreaded flash.
Recently I had to photograph a man I have known ( and respected) for many years, choosing to picture him inside of Sherborne Abbey where I wanted to include the famous and recently restored West Window.
The Abbey has a special viewing mirror on wheels so that visitors can view the vaulted ceilings and stained glass windows without keeling over from giddiness at staring upwards for so long.
The trick was to meter the light coming in through the window to ensure that the rich colours were captured then light the subject using off flash ( I usually collar a passer-by to assist in holding the flashgun for me). This gives clever modelling to facial features, unlike direct light.
I was once told that no-one looks into the sun or a lightbulb so refrain from sticking a flashgun into the subjects face, they don’t like it.
Always remember to focus on the reflection ( not easy when it is dark) not the subject and hey presto, you should have a perfectly lit portrait.

Comments

Popular Posts